A bathroom remodel can be an exciting project. But it can quickly turn into a challenging and costly one if not managed well. Undertaking the proper planning can be the difference between a good project and a not so good one. If you are considering a bathroom remodel, here are some helpful tips to consider to ensure that your bathroom makeover is a success.
Bathroom Remodel ‘Do’s’:
- Make a list of must have’s and then another for the things you would like in your new bathroom: Detail your ideas – If you have a smaller bathroom you may consider whether a wall mounted vanity would create an increased sense of space? Also, how many people will be using this bathroom – would two drawers in the vanity be better than one? This will help you to work out how far your budget will go.
- Set a clear budget and plan accordingly: A bathroom remodel can spiral out of control quickly, without proper planning. If you have a set amount that you want to spend, create a plan with that figure in mind. Refer to your budget frequently as you progress throughout your remodel. Sometimes it might mean adjusting your expectations, but it will ensure that your project doesn’t blow out of control.
- Have an additional budget set aside, just in case: Bathrooms can be one of those remodels that incur additional and unexpected costs. Plumbing issues, waterproofing issues, and fixture issues can all cause unexpected budget woes. Having a ‘buffer’ built into your budget for the unforeseen expenses types of situations can save you pain down the road. And if you don’t end up using it, it becomes a perfect ‘head start’ on saving for another project in your home. .
- Splurge on a good shower: If there is one thing in any bathroom remodel that you want to splurge on, it’s a good shower. Think space, as well as quality fittings and fixtures. The shower is one of the most used areas of the house. It is alsoone of the first things that buyers will investigate when considering a new home purchase.
- Plan proper storage that fits your lifestyle: A beautiful bathroom can lose its appeal in an instant if the space is cluttered. When designing a bathroom, ensure that you create enough storage space to hide everyday products – especially if you are a family with young children. You will not regret spending that little bit extra to house ‘bathtime bubbles’ and other everyday personal items to leave your space looking tidy and clutter-free.
Do Bathroom Remodel ‘Don’ts’:
- Replace everything, consider repairing them too: Not everything in your bathroom may need to be replaced. Repairs can be made to tiles, as they can be made to bathtubs and sinks. Before you start to renovate, consider what pieces in your bathroom could be repaired or refreshed for a fraction of the cost of replacing it.
- Don’t pick too many ‘trendy’ options: Remember that a bathroom remodel is not an easy one. You will likely only do one in the lifecycle of your home. So, making sure your bathroom remains stylish and on-trend for years to come is vital. Don’t choose too many trendy pieces that may date your bathroom too early. Balance your chic bathroom hardware with finishes that will last the test of time.
- Think of undertaking the remodel yourself: Unless you are a qualified builder or plumber, planning to remodel your bathroom on your own is a big no-no. Water leaks can cause catastrophic damage to your home and even a minor leak can turn into expensive damage down the road. When it comes to bathrooms, it is best to leave itto the experts.
- Don’t rush your planning: You might want to get started straight away, but don’t be tempted to ‘run right in’to the build. Take the time to understand what ‘look’ you want. Invest the time in getting competitive quotes and choose the right builder that you trust will do the best job for you. Rushing a decision could be the difference between ‘delight and disaster.
If you are considering a bathroom remodel, check out our latest bathroom trends here for inspiration. And if you want to talk to an expert, give Daklen Building a call. We happily provide a quote for your new remodel and talk you through how we will manage this for you. Check out some of our bathroom projects for yourself.